Today I’m going to share how to make Kimbap; Korean Sushi Rice roll. It’s easy! You just need some fresh vegetables, omelette, rice and dried seaweed. You can pick any of your choice of vegetables or omelette with your favorite fillings.
Got this recipe from here. Thanks unnie! I did almost the same like the recipe but without the pickled Mooli (I think it’s Daikon?) Still tastes good anyway!
What You’ll Need:
- A bowl of short grain rice
- 1 tsp table salt
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 Japanese cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 Carrot (thinly sliced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 bowl of Spinach
- 3 sheets of dried seaweed
- Vegetable oil
How To Make It:
- Slide the cucumber into thin strips and make sure to remove the seeds. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, mix them and leave to marinate.
- Heat a frying pan with a little vegetable oil over a medium heat and add the chopped carrots and a pinch of salt. Stir fry them until the carrots are cooked.
- Heat a frying pan again, with a little sesame oil over a medium heat and add the spinach and a pinch of salt. Stir fry them until the spinach is cooked. It takes only 1 minute or so.
- Put the eggs and a pinch of sea salt in a bowl and beat the eggs with chopsticks or a whisk. Heat a frying pan with a little vegetable oil over a medium heat, pour the egg mixture in to make an omelette. When almost cooked through, fold the omelette in half. Take it out of the pan to leave it cool. When cool, chop the omelette into thin slices.
- Put a rolling mat on, put a sheet of seaweed on it and spread a thin layer of rice evenly over the seawees. Leave a bit space around the edges.
- Lay ⅓ of the strips of vegetables and omelette over half of the rice and roll up tight into a cigar shape. Dip your finger into a little water and wet the edge of the seaweed to make it stick together. Repeat to make two more rolls.
- Brush the outside of kimbap rolls with a little sesame oil.
- Brush a sharp knife with the sesame oil or a little water and carefully slice the kimbap into 2cm thick circles.
Now you have your Kimbap! yumm mashisoyo~
It’s simple but for a first timer like me, it’s a bit tricky on the rolling part and layering the right quantity of rice on the seaweed. My best advice, try to spread the rice over the seaweed as thinly as possible. Another thing is, make sure your knife is sharp. Mine was not really sharp so I had to slice it with extra careful. You can enjoy the Kimbap just like that but sometimes I like to dip it in a sauce. Just pour 2 tbsp of soya sauce, 1 tsp of blended chili and 1/2 sweet vinegar in a small bowl, there you have your dipping sauce!
I can eat this all day! Enjoy! 😊
* I bought the seaweed from CKS Supermarket for RM10+
*The sushi mat is from Mr. DIY cost me RM1.05 only!